Last month, actress Emma Watson launched the UN’s new initiative HeForShe and reminded us that ‘no country in the world can yet say they have achieved gender equality.’
In 2014, gender justice – the equal treatment and equitable value for both sexes – has not been achieved even within the UK. Inequality has a detrimental effect to both women and men as Sophia Network co-founder Jenny Baker explored in her recent publication Equals.
To mark International Day of the Girl on Saturday 11 October, we’re exploring the theme of Gender Justice this month. What role can we play in making the world a more equitable place for both women and men? How can we affirm the equal value of both genders who are made ‘In the Image of God’?
The Sophia Network is passionate about championing the equality of both women and men inside and outside the Church. As the UN’s HeForShe campaign contends, we believe that a more equitable world for women will only be achieved with the support of sexes. We’re better together.
And we want to model what we believe. That’s why our Trustee Board now includes three men. You can find out more about our new Trustees here.
Our October monthly update also includes:
- Made In The Image of God - Gail Wallace, founder of The Junia Project, widens our theological understanding of the implications of the Gospel truth that both women and men are co-image bearers of God without limitations.
- Where is God when it hurts? - Katherine Dickson, programme worker for The Big House Ireland, equips us to journey alongside young people when they are suffering.
- Have we forgotten the Chibok girls? – Claire Rush, International Vice-President of Girls’ Brigade, encourages us to remember the Nigerian school girls kidnapped in April.
- Q & A with Liuba Ceban – Liuba, director of an NGO in Moldova, (Europe’s poorest country and a major source of human trafficking) shares her leadership journey in a country with few female role models.
- Sophia Network Equipping Day 2014 – find out what you missed as leadership consultant Jill Garrett helped us develop our God-given leadership style.
Trustee of Sophia Network